News:

Welcome Back!

Main Menu

PS1 & PS2 emulation

Started by wearecity, Feb 07, 2015, 05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wearecity

Anyone else had a go at this.

I thought it would be a complete nightmare, getting anything to run at more than 5 fps or without numerous glitches. But I'm extremely surprised at how advanced the emulators are and that many games working 100% or certainly, with minor non gameplay affecting bugs.

Daryl

Quote from: wearecity on Feb 07, 2015, 05:47 PMAnyone else had a go at this.

I thought it would be a complete nightmare, getting anything to run at more than 5 fps or without numerous glitches. But I'm extremely surprised at how advanced the emulators are and that many games working 100% or certainly, with minor non gameplay affecting bugs.

Any links to such emulators would be great wearecity - I can remember playing on a PS1 all those years ago when my nephew got one...

...I thought to myself 'this'll never catch on'! :P lol

It'd be nice to reminisce once more though :)
My website... take a ganders!
www.daryl2510.wordpress.com

Find me on Twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/daryl2510

vectra666

I had the games such as the sonic collection etc but long since gone now, emuparidise has something on those lines
http://www.emuparadise.me/Sony_Playstation_2_ISOs/List-All-Titles/41

Matty

Quote from: Daryl on Feb 07, 2015, 06:36 PM
Quote from: wearecity on Feb 07, 2015, 05:47 PMAnyone else had a go at this.

Any links to such emulators would be great wearecity - I can remember playing on a PS1 all those years ago when my nephew got one...

...I thought to myself 'this'll never catch on'! :P lol

It'd be nice to reminisce once more though :)

For PS1 I recommend Psxfin, Not as customisable as EPSXE but is a lot simpler to set up & run - http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/psx/psx_em.html

As for PS2 the only choice is PCSX2. Only in the last 18 - 24 months has this been really viable as someone came onboard & completely revamped the core of the emulator allowing it to run a lot more efficiently, you still need a decent desktop to run this mind - http://pcsx2.net/

I've got sets of the bioses for both systems if you need them.

Matty

To add on the PSP emulator also had a massive leap in playability, I remember seeing it a few years back & it struggling to load most games, now it seems to play almost anything!

wearecity

Was about to post, but Matty and vectra beat me too it.

I do use EPSXE for the PS1, but will take a look at Psxfin myself. EDIT Psxfin, doesn't like the type of files I have downloaded, which have an .ECM extension, tried a few things, but it's not having it.

and as Matty says, PCSX2 for the PS2.

The BIOS files are located here http://www.emuparadise.me/biosfiles/bios.html

It isn't difficult to get up and running, if you read the instructions and use the set up wizards with the emu's.

DAD

Don't think I've looked at these since Bleem! lol
Welcome to DADsFME, enjoy your stay :)

wearecity

If you have any interest in playing old PS1 and PS2 games, they are well worth looking into. Best played with a decent controller, like an XBOX 360 controller for windows, although I believe it is possible to get PS3 and PS4 controllers working as well on a PC.

The PS2 emulator also will give force feedback via an XBOX 360 for windows controller for instance.

Matty

DS3 Tool will emulate a PS3 controller as an XBOX 360 controller. A bit finicky to get working right but when it does it's simple after that, amazing bit of software.

Slasher

Bleem! wow! there's a blast from the past. I used some commercial software for my PS1 emulating. I think it was called CVG or something like that. It worked brilliantly as I couldn't get ePSXe to work back then.

I've since had a dabble with all sorts. I must try out PCSX2 again though. I'd like to play SSX Tricky again but the PS2 is in the loft lol

altharic

Virtual game station by connectix.

Matty

Quote from: Slasher on Feb 15, 2015, 09:13 PMBleem! wow! there's a blast from the past. I used some commercial software for my PS1 emulating. I think it was called CVG or something like that. It worked brilliantly as I couldn't get ePSXe to work back then.

I've since had a dabble with all sorts. I must try out PCSX2 again though. I'd like to play SSX Tricky again but the PS2 is in the loft lol

It's (Not) very complicated, tricky tricky tricky.

Slasher

Quote from: altharic on Feb 15, 2015, 10:52 PMVirtual game station by connectix.
That's the one!

Quote from: Matty on Feb 16, 2015, 02:49 AM
Quote from: Slasher on Feb 15, 2015, 09:13 PMBleem! wow! there's a blast from the past. I used some commercial software for my PS1 emulating. I think it was called CVG or something like that. It worked brilliantly as I couldn't get ePSXe to work back then.

It's (Not) very complicated, tricky tricky tricky.
Great game eh?

wearecity

Still enjoying tinkering and mucking about with the PS2 emulation in particular.

Managed to get it to accept my PS4 controller wirelessly via bluetooth to my laptop, so much easier to control games, than with keyboard and I'd say the PS4 controller is a bit better than the XBOX 360 controller, although the 360 controller is still a great controller.

Discovering more games now as well, some games had really great graphics, such as R-Type Final, Resident Evil 4 and Gran Turismo 4. If you have a modestly specced PC, you can even get them to look even better, than they did on the PS2 in a lot cases.

At the moment it's my favourite emulator.

re-emulated

I think I have a full set of PS1 iso's on my Hyperspin build.   Some great games, I couldn't believe the graphics when I first got Tombraider back in the day.   I still actually have PS1 but haven't used it in years.

J